People Acuity Newsletter – January 2022
Six Company Culture Secrets Every Leader Should Know
The key to taking your business to the next level is a top-notch company culture.
Today’s organizations face challenges that didn’t exist a decade ago. The volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous (VUCA) world of today’s business makes culture more important than ever before. If your company culture is left to chance, it makes it increasingly likely that you are one of the four in ten organizations predicted by J.P. Morgan to fail in the next decade.
There are six things every leader should know about building a strong culture that can survive any storms or challenges. In a nutshell, here they are:
- Your company culture is the key to your success (or the cause of your failure). Your company culture is to your organization what Windows 11 is to a PC. An outdated system decreases productivity, increases frustration, and compromises all outcomes. A strong culture creates efficiency, minimizes mistakes and distractions, and leads to optimal performance, engagement, innovation, and collaboration. It directly drives the bottom line.
- The #1 problem facing organizations today is strategy-culture misalignment. When business strategy and execution are disconnected from organizational culture, it significantly derails the work of the business, affecting performance and profitability. The idea of company culture feels important to forward-thinking leaders, but many feel confused about how to align culture excellence strategy to effectively drive business results and enroll the hearts and minds of people.
- A strong company culture requires intention and a continuous improvement process. Business strategy cannot be left to chance, nor can a culture excellence strategy. Company culture is not a “one and done” experience. It requires a continuous improvement process to sustain it, just as strong businesses consistently apply lean or Six Sigma to their processes. You can’t plant seeds, water them once, and expect an endless harvest.
- You can systematize the evolution of your company culture. Because your culture excellence is more than just about people, it is not the same as your HR systems. It involves applying six core principles of sustained culture excellence in four different spheres of influence and engagement: Self-Leadership, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Team Performance, and Organizational Excellence.
- There are complicated and simple ways to build culture excellence. Top tier companies are relentless about simply implementing three critical mindsets and practices that form a strong culture foundation. All organizational excellence flows from these.
- Your culture impacts more than just your organization. What happens at work doesn’t just impact work. The stress and burn-out experienced by two-thirds of employees today travels home with them. This impacts home and family in ways that are catastrophic to the world, to your future work force, and to the global economy as disengagement spills over into home and school. Shifting the culture of organizations can pave the way to shift the culture of all the institutions important to society.
To learn more about any of these, click here for access to the Six Company Culture Secrets Every Leader Should Know.
This article has been written by DeAnna Murphy – the Chief Development Officer for People Acuity and principal author of Shift Up! Strengths Strategies for Optimal Living and Choose to See You – in collaboration with Dr. Steve Jeffs. DeAnna and Steve are both Top 100 Global Coaching Leaders who have provided keynotes and leadership development experiences to leaders and teams in 58 countries.
People Acuity is the world’s premier career pathing technology company established to help leading employers develop, engage, and retain top-tier employees for high-impact business growth. People Acuity partners with employers and industries to construct working career paths for career-seekers, creating talent pipelines to meet defined employer needs.